Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Heartache - {Personal}

When I started this blog a year ago, I was torn if I wanted to include a few stories from my own life. As time has gone on, I've discovered that many of my clients become fast friends and I want to share my life with you guys. We all know that life has good times and bad. Life can't truly be appreciated unless there is a little heartache. But when you're in the midst of a tragedy, all you can ask is "Why?". I've been planning to share fun holiday posts with you all week, but I received a phone call on Monday late afternoon that has morphed my family's holiday into something you never think could happen.

My dad called me around 5:00pm on Monday. While this isn't totally weird, it was definitely not the norm since my mom is the one I talk to about 55 times a day. I figured he had a last minute gift question or something of the like. As I picked up the phone, he said "Krystal..."  His tone was enough for me to know something was not right. He went on "I'm so sorry. I hate that I am having to call to tell you this.... but Robert Lynn (my cousin) was in a rollover accident and he is no longer with us."

My heart stopped beating. Robert Lynn? ..... Gone? .... But, he was only 27 years old. 

How? Why? When? All of the questions were a jumbled mess in my head. How had this happened? 

My next thoughts were of my aunt and uncle. They only have two children - and those two boys are my *only* cousins. We are a small, tight knit family. I knew my aunt and uncle's hearts would be ripped apart. No one ever plans for the death of their own child. It's just not right.

I've slowly been processing and still find myself in a state of disbelief. We were all supposed to be together this year. We hadn't had Christmas with my aunt & uncle in years and we were so looking forward to time with them. I was going to take photos of all of the family since we didn't have many recent ones since all four of the kids (me, my brother, & my two cousins) are all grown.

I know my family will pull through. We have seen our fair share of tragedy & lives taken too soon. But from this, I hope that others can learn just a few small things.

1. Always, always wear your seatbelt.

2. Take photos of family & friends - and take them often. Even if they aren't by a professional, those snapshots will be something that you will one day look back upon and smile.

3. Appreciate the time you have together. We are never promised tomorrow.

4. Take time to remember that even though the holidays can be stressful - it is meant to be a time where love is freely given.
Hug your loved ones tight and send some extra thoughts & prayers for my family.

I was so blessed to have Robert Lynn as my cousin & I will never ever forget the fun memories we made together.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry for your family's loss, Krystal. Thanks for taking the time to remind us what Christmas is all about. Will be thinking of and praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so, so sorry. I've been thinking of your family a lot. You are all in my prayers, girl. Thank you for sharing this and reminding everyone to value each day. BIG HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute, Krystal. Your entire family will be in my thoughts and prayers and your cousin is smiling down knowing how loved he will always be. Love jamie

    ReplyDelete