Monday, August 29, 2011

Portrait Display - {Example of How to Display Your Portraits}

When it comes time to order your precious portraits, I've had many gasp when I suggest they go bigger for wall hangings. So many order 8x10's or 11x14's to go up on the wall all alone. And nearly every time as I have followed up, the main thing I hear is "I should've gone bigger". To be honest, I don't hang photos in my home smaller than 16x20 unless they are going up as a part of a collage. I know what you're thinking, "16x20?? Is she crazy? That's HUGE!!". But when you are hanging things - you really have to think about how big that wall actually is. And I'm at the point now where 16x20/16x24 doesn't seem big enough for me! And nearly every single 16x20 or 16x24 in my home is surrounded by other photos in the form of a collage. 

Here is a great example for you. And I will even show you just how small those HUUUUGE 8x10's are that you are ordering! While talking to Sam's Mommy about what she wanted to order,we started out by discussing where it would be going. She wants it to be in the living room on a fairly large wall, most likely over a sofa. After talking, we decided on a 16x32. 16x32?! *gasp* Sounds huge, right??

Here is the 16x32 over my lovely sofa.
Not so huge, huh?


It looks fairly tiny all by itself on that huge wall. Of course now that I have it, I'm thinking "Gosh, we should've gone bigger!". But there is still a way to make it pop by adding in other portraits.

Most think of large prints as being 8x10's, but as you can see in the photo below - those tiny little portraits surrounding the large one are all 8x10's. See what I mean about how small they look when they are on the wall? Imagine what it would look like if that's all you had up there!

Even the large photo would look completely overwhelmed and out of place if it weren't for the collage format and the decoration on the wall. So - the next time you want to order portraits remember - Go Bigger! You won't regret it!!


..............
Krystal

No comments:

Post a Comment