Tuesday, August 16, 2011

From a Mother's Point of View - {Birth Photography}

I have had a few people ask me what the real experience of birth photography was like and how it worked when the big day came along. Explaining it from my point of view was really easy, but I wanted to be able to give an answer based on the mom's point of view! So I asked Sam's mommy if she would mind writing up a little something that I could share with other mom's who were thinking of having me photograph their baby's arrival into this world. When she emailed me back, I was floored (and bawled like a baby). I never imagined she would elaborate so far & say such kind words! Her words touched me so deeply that I wanted to share them with you.


"Before we ever even got pregnant with Sam, we knew that he would be our last baby. I adore being pregnant, so I wanted to cherish every single moment of it. After all of the joys of finding out what gender Baby was and the things like decorating his room we started focusing on the delivery and how we could make that special time not only more special, but save a bit of the excitement.

With our other kids, my husband had dutifully stood over my shoulder and recorded the moment our kids came into the world. While it is an awesome token of a wonderful time, its not really something you throw up on facebook, or send to your brother in law.

I started thinking how wonderful it would be to be able to see what my husbands face looked like the first moment he saw Sam.

 Or the look on my face when I finally got to hold him! 


My line of thinking was much the same as a wedding. I wanted all of his wonderful newborn firsts frozen in time.

We've used Krystal numerous times for family portraits. She has such a way of capturing wonderful little details, and the best part is you never notice while she's taking the pictures. When you get the proofs back its amazing to see what she manages to capture.  Its like she can capture the essence of your child.

I started talking with Krystal and forming ideas about what we wanted. It took a little while to sell everyone on it, but I finally got her and my husband to agree on letting her in the delivery room.

I'm a very private person, but I wanted those images. I wasn't sure how I would handle having someone who wasn't my husband in the room with us. However, I have to say that I never once even thought of Krystal being in there during delivery. She was so quiet and so unobtrusive. She stood at the very front of the room, past the head of the bed and most moments I forgot she was even there.


Every time I look at the pictures she took, I get so choked up. There are so many moments that in the rush of everything I forgot. I think my favorite part of her photographing his birth is that each moment can be shared exactly how I want to share it. There are some photos she took that will always just be private photos, for Aaron and me. Other pictures are just so beautifully expressive I want to share them with everyone. And best of all, for the rest of Sams life I have wonderful memories that can be shared with him and the generations that come after."


Thank you for such kind words and for asking me to be a part of such an amazing day!
xoxo
................
Krystal

No comments:

Post a Comment